CAD & OBJ Viewer is designed to be a tool to assist engineers or other designers view their models in virtual reality before bringing them into existence. The program allows a user to add OBJ format files to a specific directory that is read by the program at runtime. Within the virtual environment a user can then load up that object and manipulate it using a small selection of gestures.
As an engineer myself, I plan to use this utility to check the visual appearance of objects, check clearances and/or interference, check for safety concerns, etc. While 3D printing is becoming a popular way for engineers and designers to quickly validate their designs, that process still requires time and money. Bringing a model into vr requires minimal time and virtually no cost while providing a lot of the same validation that rapid prototyping can offer.
VIEWING YOUR OWN CREATIONS:
To view your own creation, follow the instructions in the included Readme text file. NOTE: all obj files must contain less than 60000 vertices. This is a current limitation of the OBJ reader.
NOTE: Large AMF files take some time to load and i haven't implemented asynchronous loading yet. As a result, when loading these files, the game will freeze until the object loads. Please be patient while it loads. This is a known issue and is being worked on.
If you are a SolidWorks user and would like to bring your models to life, simply use this community generated macro within solidworks to export your model to the required OBJ format: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/54270 . Then follow the same instructions as above.
**** Just added AMF (additive Manufacturing Format) support. This is a current save as option from SolidWorks (in other words, you don't need the macro listed above.)
Benefits of AMF:
- Native SolidWorks Export
- Small files size for large complex models
- New standard for 3D printing
Cons of AMF:
- No vertex normals support from SolidWorks yet
- Not widely adopted yet.
- Load OBJ and AMF files from local directory
- Drag object side to side and up and down with left hand grab
- Rotate object about vertical axis with right hand grab
- Scale object with two hand grab and spread
- Fine adjustment control using sliders
- Recenter scene to current real-world direction
FEATURES IN DEVELOPMENT
- Load FBX files w/ annimations
- Change object manipulation mode
- Change Scene
- Objects do not load Async, therefore the application will "freeze" for a few seconds while it loads. (can cause motion sickness)
- The quaternion for imported AMF files is slightly off on some models.
Please download and extract the attached zip file. To add custom OBJ files, drag them, along with any mtl and/or jpg files, into the directory marked VRBrowser. Then simply launch the executable.
Oculus Rift SDK 0.7
Leap Motion 2.3